Post by Sharon Faulkner on Mar 9, 2007 18:50:55 GMT -5
This reminder just in from East Tennessee Grotto (ETG).
The Southeastern Regional Association of the NSS Summer Cave Carnival will be held at Monterey Tennessee this year hosted by the East Tennessee Grotto May 31 through June 3, 2007. This year's event is just minutes away from I40 at Camp Nakanawa. Set in the middle of some of the best cave country in the nation there is also a lake for swimming and canoing, plenty of room for camping, cabins available for rent, a climbing wall and zip line, hot tub, meals available, live music every night and a bonfire Saturday night with FREE BEER! All of your favorite vendors will be on site.
Post by Sharon Faulkner on Mar 28, 2007 8:15:49 GMT -5
Update on the SERA Cave Carnival:
2007 SERA Cave Carnival - May 31 through June 3 By: Rich Lounsbury (Knoxville, Tennessee)
Fellow cavers, a quick update (note: that these will be coming more frequently as we get closer to the event, which is only about 2 months away!!!!):
1) First things first, Beer: The beer vendors have been lined up and FREE light and regular beer will be available to registered members of legal drinking age. Consumption will be initiated ~8 p.m. (Central time zone) on Saturday night (as music gets underway).
2) Website: Please be patient with us on the website; the dead links will be filled shortly; please check periodically in the next week or two for updates. The address is: www.caves.org/grotto/etg/SERA2007/
3) The April 30 pre-registration deadline is drawing near. Save yourself some bucks by pre-registering! Again, registration forms are downloadable at the above web-site.
4) Cabins: Only 7 large (10 person) cabins remain; if you want one, please pre-register quickly.
Thanks and see y'all in a couple months! Please feel free to forward this to any other caving-related e-mail groups that might find this info useful.
Fellow cavers, the pre-registration deadline is fast approaching. If you want to save some $$, your form must be post-marked by this Monday April 30, or you'll need to pay full price.
Also, if you miss the pre-registration cut-off, please continue mailing forms/payment to ETG with a post-mark no later than Monday May 14 (so we have time to receive and process before the event). Mailing your forms and payment in advance will definitely save you time at check in.
Our website has been updated with additional photographs plus, information on directions, caving, music, camp amenities, guidebook, and site activities. Please be sure to check it out and check back frequently for updates.
Post by Sharon Faulkner on May 13, 2007 22:01:33 GMT -5
Info regarding pets and vendors at SERA:
Pets: To respond to pet questions from the 5/10 post, here's what any pet owner thinking about bringing a pet needs to know:
First, we are generally discouraging folks from bringing pets to SERA. There are several reasons for this:
- We expect there will be a lot of people, noise, and activity. - Pets will not be allowed to be left alone while folks are off caving or whatever; not fair to the animal. - Pets must be on leash at all times and you will be responsible for picking up all waste. - Pets require a lot of work. - Not everyone is pet friendly (for example some people are afraid of large dogs).
Bottom Line: If you have time to spend with your pet, it is well socialized and doesn't mind lots of people/crowds/noise (and you don't mind picking up after it), pay the $20 pet fee and bring it along. However, if you have other pet-sitting alternatives readily available, please take advantage of that; you (and your pet) will have more fun that way!
Vendors: I have had a few people inquiring about the vendors, so thought I would share this with everyone (and will also have put on ETG web-site shortly). Here's the current line-up, with possibly a few more additions:
- NSS Bookstore - Southeastern Cave Conservancy, Inc. - ACCA - One Life Outfitters - Howie's Harness - B&C Wunderware - J.D.'s Rocksport - On Rope 1 - Inner Mountain Outfitters - Swaygo Gear
And don't worry, these folks will be well stocked with all the gear you need! Please make sure to come out and support them and purchase that special piece of gear you have been waiting for.